Introducing the Springboard to Your Dreams Challenge Contest!
Attention Eastern CT High School Students:
How about free SAT Prep or subject tutoring? Introducing the second annual Springboard to Your Dreams Challenge Contest from Knowledge Team In-Home Tutors, LLC!
We want you to achieve your dreams, so we've started a contest to encourage and help you!
Here's how it works:
- Register online using the form above or by mail using the form here. The registration deadline is October 15, 2012.
- You pick one of the following books and read it.
- Then you implement one or more ideas from the book in your own life over the course of the next several months.
- Submit a brief summary by email of what idea you will implement and how by December 15, 2012.
- Submit a brief report by email of your progress by February 15, 2013.
- Finally, you produce a short essay or video about your experience, being sure to include a thorough description of what you did and how it helped. The essay is due by May 15, 2013.
- These nine months could change your life!
- We judge your essay according to the criteria described in the Rules, and select a winner.
- The winner will receive a new Kindle Fire HD® plus 8 free hours of SAT Prep or subject tutoring! The tutoring must be used within one year.
Which book should I chose?
Cal Newport's book, How to Be a High School Superstar, is designed for the student who is aiming at high caliber colleges and wants to impress the admissions board, so it may be best suited for these kinds of students. However, it is chock full of great advice that will work well for any young person, even if you are not planning on college at all, but want to start your own business or land a good job. For my review of the book, see here or here. Bill's book, Begin Today! is shorter and broader in its goals. It is aimed at any teenager who wants to achieve his or her dreams, whether or not they include college.
Both books include hints for study skills and time management. Both can help you to unlock your potential and turn your high school years into a springboard to your dreams.
How do I get the books?
Cal's book is available on Amazon or through your local library. Bill's book is available for free through Knowledge Team In-Home Tutors. You can download it for free or just let us know and we'll get you a hard copy.
What kinds of things will I do?
Great things! Cal Newport emphasizes the importance of making enough time in your schedule to cultivate your interests, which will make you more interesting to colleges than if you try to be good at everything. Bill emphasizes the great potential of young people who simply realize they have the power to chart their own destinies. Both provide time management and study tips to help you toward your goals. Bill's book also provides a chapter on alternatives to traditional college.
Both books provide exciting ideas and are sure to get your mind working and get you started on some cool new schedule changes, study habits, activities, and or projects! Maybe you'll start a club, organization, or business. Maybe you'll build something innovative. Maybe you'll get into a great college you thought you didn't have a chance at. Maybe you'll get your dream job. The possibilities are unlimited.
What are you looking for in the essay?
The essay is how we will judge your implementation of the ideas in the books, so you will need to give us a through and thoughtful description of what you did and how it helped. We will be looking for evidence of innovative and interesting changes you made to your life, interests you discovered and cultivated, projects you completed, and goals you accomplished. It should be clearly written, typed, well-organized, and no longer than 4 double-spaced pages.
You must be a resident of eastern Connecticut and of high school age to enter.
Enter below by October 15th!
REGISTRATION FORM (FILL OUT AND CLICK SUBMIT TO ENTER)
When you are ready to submit your essay, just attach it to an email and...
Five months that could change your life!